Marta & the Demons -- a novelette about getting out at the top. I guess it's design fiction? Designtopic YA? Currently Kindle only, 99p only. Stars & advice gratefully swallowed.
I've expanded an enormous review of Cory Doctorow's Pirate Cinema (with some notes on Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom too). A bit rough in parts, but I think basically done. It talks about copyright, YA fiction, utopia, design fiction, reputation currencies, etc.
- A review of the massive anthology Twenty-First Century Science Fiction, ed. David G. Hartwell & Patrick Nielson Hayden, which first appeared in Interzone.
- "Storytelling & Sludge." Post prompted by an apology for blue science fiction. I'm trying to capture my sense that, okay, yeah, revolutionary stories are harder to tell than reactionary ones. [UPDATE: Elsewhere: Tom Pollock on nice kicks, Rjurik Davidson on writers' often uncritical love affair with their own unconscious].
- Aylett squee.
- Names in SFF. Part 1: Samuel Beckett's "Winnie."
- Names in SFF. Part 2: Besson & Johansson's "Lucy."
- "Badge fic." Did the "mute" function break Twitter? Is there a solution?
- "New Genre Wednesdays: Metafuturism." Imagining imagining five drones. [Also: "fan-fic"].
- My Worldcon schedule and some other bloggers' Worldcon reports.
- My epic fantasy, War of the Lords.